Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rock and Roll to the Rescue

Today I listened to part of my collection of songs. They are mostly Rock and Roll with a few 40s and 50s favorites.
While listening I realized that Rock and Roll probably saved my life and kept me from going crazy while I was In-Country. I can remember walking down trails looking for the enemy and at the same time, hearing the Beach Boys in my brain. It helped me from being scared shit less. Now that my friend PTSD has reared its ugly head, I have fallen back on listening to those same songs that kept me sane. Yeah, I know that I am older but the songs are still as young as they were when I was 18. Sort of makes me feel anchored. I am also reminded that the only people that understand Vietnam Veterans are Vietnam Veterans. Family can love and try to understand but when the rubber hits the road, its the Vietnam Veterans who I rely on to help me make it from day to day. (My Vet group)
Don't misunderstand me, my family (wife and sons} are great and very supportive but I know that they can not understand what we went through in that place so long ago. Its the people that actually went there, humped the hills, smelled the gunpowder, seen the bodies, the destruction, the tears, the heartaches, and the total commitment we had for each other that I know understand.
So as the song goes, "Rock and Roll to the rescue, you know it rescued me and it will rescue you."
Thanks Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce: The Beach Boys.

1 comment:

Day Traveler said...

I love me some rock and roll man. Most of my favs come from the 70's and 80's but it's all good to me. As I've gotten older, the music has changed but I find that the newer stuff (newer to me) like Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Matchbox 20, Creed, Collective Soul, 3 Doors Down, Dave Matthews and scores of others all have had important things to say. Whether we know it or not, we write lyrics and tunes on the tablet of our hearts too. It's almost as if those songs shape and mold us (to some small degree) in to who we are and give us support when we need it.