Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

Its been 45 years since the war for me and it seems like yesterday. I had a young boy interview me for a class project. He asked me about my "experiences" in Vietnam but I knew that if I told him about the horrors of that war he would not understand so I just told him that war was a bad thing and told him about my friend Louis Castillo that got killed over there. He later sent me a letter thanking me for my service and a rubbing of Louie's name from "The Wall". It made me feel like he at least appreciated the time I had spent with him during our interview.
It made me stop and wonder for the unpteenth time about why I had been the one to survive. I spent time with my former Platoon Commander earlier this week and we talked about that amoung other things. He says that it was fate and no one can explain why one lives and another dies. Thats true but it still doesn't relieve the pain of surviving. November is always a bad month for me so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and endure as I have done for the past 45 years. Sometimes life sucks.

Its just a Nam thing.
Peace

No comments: