Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Woodstock

I was watching a show about Woodstock which happened August 15 through 18 1968. I was still in the US Army at the time. I was irritated by the commentator who stated that the reason our country is still a place of freedom was because of this event. Three days of Peace and Love is what he said. I guess I was so pissed because I was jealous and angry. Jealous because on the one hand I wanted to be a part of that kind of happening where everyone was free to do whatever they wanted to do and not be scared to do it. I was angry because I had gone to Vietnam and lost friends that would never be able to experience that kind of happening. I was also angry because while these people were having the times of their lives, my brothers were experiencing what it felt like to be dejected after returning from war. This so called time of peace and love only applied to those who were anti-establishment and anti-military. Many of those same people were standing at airports and jeering our brothers when they came home. I experienced this in San Francisco when I got out of the Army in September. 1968. I'm sure that most of us would have preferred Woodstock over Vietnam but many of us felt an obligation to our country's call and became warriors. That being said, I loved the music and the spirit that came from that event but I am more proud that I experienced the love and brotherhood of my comrades in arms, both living and dead. I have always said that the only person that understands and cares for the Vietnam Veteran are other Vietnam Veterans. We received "the ties that bind" us together while we were in "The Nam".
The other interesting thing was looking at those folks that went to Woodstock then and looking at them now. Its interesting to note that they look a lot like their parents looked back then. Guess being a part of the "establishment" isn't so bad after all. 
Peace
Charles "Doc" Nordan

1 comment:

100 Thoughts of Love said...

i am sure most of the people who were at Woodstock, would agree with you now. Some people just grow up faster than others.